- Buses are great for tourists; they go to all main attractions
- The bus timetables change on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays; some bus stops close, and you must find alternatives.
- Buy a daily bus pass for Y500 per day. Take three buses and it pays for itself.
- Not many local trains are covered by the JR Pass
- Many sights are within walking distance, if you have a good pair of shoes and the time to wander.
- Food is more expensive in Kyoto, because restaurants don’t need to be as competitive
- Gion is the Geisha district
- It is very rude to take photos of the geisha or maiko (geisha in training); it is also rude to ask permission to take a photo of them.
- Look into all the doorways when you walk down the main side street of the geisha district; you may see the geisha inside!